Stop the Algonquin Pipeline Expansion (SAPE) Safe Energy Rights Group (SEnRG) ResistAIM
Donate to support the legal and direct action efforts to halt the AIM Pipeline!
Senators Schumer and Gillibrand call for Spectra AIM pipeline construction to be halted.
Journal News, May 20, 2016: NY Senators want Algonquin pipeline shut down
Press release on Sen. Schumer’s website: SCHUMER, GILLIBRAND URGE FERC TO SUSPEND CONSTRUCTION ON AIM PIPELINE EXPANSION UNTIL INDEPENDENT HEALTH AND SAFETY STUDIES ARE CONDUCTED
URGENT Action Alert!
STOP Construction of Spectra AIM!
Please call elected officials:
U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer: 212-486-4430
U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: 212-688-6262
U.S. Congresswoman Nita Lowey: 914-428-1707
U.S. Congressman Eliot Engel: 718-796-9700
U.S. Congressman Sean Maloney: 845-561-1259
Governor Andrew Cuomo: 518-474-8390
President Barack Obama: 202-456-1111
Stand with millions of New Yorkers by speaking out publicly and to President Obama for emergency action to halt construction of the dangerous AIM pipeline now. Demand that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) rescind its approval of the AIM pipeline project and stop AIM pipeline construction immediately.
New York State must stop approving more gas infrastructure projects which are chaining us to fracked gas and climate-changing fossil fuels for many decades to come, destroying our health, land, water and food supplies and accelerating our climate crisis. We need rapid transition to 100% renewable energy an intensification of energy-efficiency and conservation measures now! Cost effective renewable technology is already on the shelf.
Spectra Energy’s dangerous high pressure AIM gas pipeline is currently under construction only 105 feet from critical infrastructure at the Indian Point nuclear power plant. Nuclear and pipeline safety experts have repeatedly warned that a pipeline rupture adjacent to Indian Point could result in a nuclear catastrophe similar to or worse than the Fukushima nuclear disaster and threatens more than 20 million people who live within a 50 mile radius in the New York tri-state region. The pipeline poses a serious threat whether Indian Point is open or shut and decommissioned with 40 years of radioactive spent fuel remaining on site. A comprehensive, independent risk assessment was never conducted.
Furthermore, the aging Indian Point nuclear reactors, whose licenses expired in 2013 and 2015, have been plagued with numerous problems including several events in the last year alone. Recently, exceedingly high levels of leaking tritium have been detected in monitoring wells at Indian Point. Significant concerns have been raised regarding adverse impacts to the troubled nuclear plant from the ongoing pipeline construction activities, which were likely never evaluated.
On February 29, 2016, Governor Cuomo finally ordered 4 state agencies; the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Health, the Department of Environmental Conservation and the Department of Public Service to conduct an independent safety assessment and together in a letter to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) called for a halt to the AIM pipeline construction and retraction of FERC’s approval of the AIM pipeline project. Not unexpectedly, FERC denied his request.
Although local, state and federal officials have written letters to FERC calling for an independent risk assessment, Senators Schumer and Gillibrand have been largely silent on the issue. They must get off the sidelines and join with Congressmembers Eliot Engel and Nita Lowey and publicly advocate at all levels to bring this potentially catastrophic project to a halt immediately while proper risk analyses are performed.
In light of the recent expose of Spectra’s large $ contributions to Governor Cuomo, we must increase our pressure on him to continue to use the power of his office and publicly advocate for an immediate halt to the construction of the AIM pipeline and for FERC’s withdrawal of its approval of the project.
Every voice is urgently needed! Please keep calling these public officials!
- People’s Hearing investigating FERC abuses of law and power program – Dec. 2, 2016
- Spectra confirms new flow of 245,000 Dth/d effective Nov. 2, 2016 out of 342,000 Dth/d total AIM capacity – Nov. 14, 2016
- FERC hastily OKs Spectra new AIM plan for gas in aging pipelines under Indian Point without safety analysis; Obama must halt AIM; another major FERC conflict of interest – Nov. 4, 2016
- Map of Indian Point, AIM and Algonquin Gas Transmission pipelines – Nov. 4, 2016
- Exposed: Husband of FERC Official Responsible for Reviewing New Spectra Energy Pipelines Consults For Spectra on Related Project – Nov. 1, 2016
- Spectra Gas Pipeline Days From Operation – Opponents warn of catastrophic safety risk – Oct. 28, 2016
- Urgent national security and safety alert regarding imminent threat from Spectra AIM pipeline at Indian Point nuclear power plant – Oct. 26, 2016
- Vaughey letter to NRC – October 25, 2016
- 3 minute video showing aerial views of AIM next to critical emergency structures of Indian Point – Oct. 20, 2016
- FERC Chairman Used Not-Yet-Published Guidelines to Deny Wrongdoing in Hiring of Contractor for Spectra Pipeline – October 19, 2016
- Medical and Disaster Experts Investigate Pipeline Construction Next to Indian Point and Call to Immediately Halt Construction and Operation – October 18, 2016
- Spectra Weekly Report to FERC for AIM showing HDD second attempt mid-November – Oct. 18, 2016
- Disaster expert Irwin Redlener, MD, issues dire warning of AIM near Indian Point – October 18, 2016
- Malatras set to leave Cuomo administration for HANYS – October 7, 2016
- Comment re HDD from SEnRG and SAPE to FERC – October 5, 2016
- Ex-Ally of Christie Links Cuomo to Cover-Up of Lane Closings – October 5, 2016
- Anti-fracking group accuses Cuomo of yielding to pipeline lobbyists – October 4, 2016
- Cuomo administration backed away from pipeline nuclear safety study after lobbying blitz – October 4, 2016
- Public officials, secret emails – Private emails kept exchanges clandestine in bribery, bid-rigging case – October 2, 2016
- Letter to Cuomo’s hiring HDR to conduct risk assessment without issuing an RFP, without Indian Point in its work order – Sept. 29, 2016
- Riverkeeper and coalition call for immediate halt to AIM pipeline because of catastrophic consequences for Indian Point – Sept. 22, 2016
- Ex-Cuomo Aides Charged in Federal Corruption Inquiry – Sept. 22, 2016
- Motion of Stay filed September 22, 2016
- Paul Blanch Declaration (affidavit) – September 21, 2016
- Richard Kuprewicz Declaration (affidavit) – September 21, 2016
- Coalition letter to FERC re failed Spectra HDD attempt that requires halt to construction – September 22, 2016
- Letter from Delaware Riverkeeper Network to Congressional leaders to investigate FERC – September 21, 2016
- PHMSA Chart – September 21, 2016
- Indian Point Energy Center Correspondence – September 21, 2016
- NRG Conflict of Interest Correspondence – September 21, 2016
- Timeline showing segmentation of AIM, Atlantic Bridge and Access Northeast – September 21, 2016
- Letter from Congressman Engel to President Obama – September 19, 2016
- Letter from Congresswoman Lowey to Secretary Moniz – September 16, 2016
- “Spectra response to FERC re HDD mishap, September 16, 2016”
- “FERC letter to Algonquin re wetland violation of Horizontal Directional Drilling under Hudson River” September 9, 2016
- “AIM FERC Third Party Compliance Monitoring Reports of severe wetland violation” August 30, 2016
- While Reviewing Spectra Energy Gas Pipeline Project, FERC Contratctor Did Not Disclose Its Hiring by Spectra for FIve Other Projects – July 19, 2016
- Former Inspectors Describe Dangerous Flaws in Construction of Major East Coast Gas Pipeline – July 19, 2016
- “Cuomo work order to contract HDR for risk assessment” July 13, 2016
- Senators Demand New FERC Environmental Review for Spectra Energy Project After DeSmog Revelations – June 14, 2016
- Former FERC Official Hired By Company With $1.8 Million Stake In Spectra Energy Pipeline Project He Had Reviewed – June 6, 2016
- Revealed: Contractors Hired by FERC to Review a New Spectra Energy Pipeline Work for Spectra on a Related Project – May 26, 2016
- Concerned Health Professionals of NY 4th edition of Compendium of Scientific, Medical and Media Findings Demonstrating Risks and Harms of Fracking – April 20, 2016
- NYS Office of the State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli report on Public Safety Oversight, Public Service Commission – March 2016
- Could nuclear disaster come to America? March 31, 2016
- Nuclear Power Plants: Pre-Deployed WMDs, March 28, 2016
- Natural gas infrastructure lobby ramps up spending in New York State, March 2016
- “FERC Denies Cuomo’s Request to Halt Pipeline Expansion,” Patch, Mar. 25, 2016
- FERC denies Cuomo’s request for AIM stay March 25, 2016
- Plan to Expand a Pipeline at Indian Point Raises Concerns, New York Times, 2/28/16
- Cuomo to Feds: Stop Algonquin Pipeline for More Safety Review, Times Union, 2/29/16
Are you willing to resist the pipeline through non-violent direct action or to provide support for direct action? If so, join and sign The Pledge to Resist.
Stop the Algonquin Pipeline Expansion (SAPE) is a grassroots organization with a mission to educate our fellow citizens and elected officials about the negative impacts associated with Spectra Energy Corporation’s Algonquin Incremental Market (AIM) Project. SAPE opposes the AIM gas expansion project because it may exacerbate climate change, endanger our safety and quality of life, contaminate water, air and soil, cause harm to domestic animals and wildlife, and threaten farmland and property values.